Thursday, August 18, 2011

Remember Film?

Remember Film? It's where memories used to come from.


It won't be long 'til 'film' won't even be a part of utilized vocabulary. It'll be shoved away in the Webster's with 'VHS' and 'cassette'.


The first mortal stab wound to my own nostalgic generation, was the discontinuation of Polaroid. I had just inherited the old black, flip-up flash, cartridge loaded box, when, within the next year or two, Polaroid announced they would no longer manufacture the instant film. Now, "there's an ap for that".

My dad always had either a Polaroid, or this Nikon

My earliest memory of taking a picture is of my daddy picking me up from Kindergarden, letting me run about the playground before hopping in the truck for a weekend with dad. He asked me to take his picture with his camera. 

I didn't come prepared with a composition on The Importance of Film In A Digital World, but I do have some things to bring to show-and-tell.



Less than recently, I inherited my cousin's collection of 35mm accessories.
She obtained them from some professional who probably moved on to digital.

Something's jammed in the Pentax, and I haven't found a dark enough location in the house to open it and at least remove the film.

  
I've had offers from talented people to have outings of shooting in film, then hit up a lab and develope our stuff. It's a really neat process. In most cases, I just didn't find the cash or the time.

Another favorite I inherited/stole is this Polaroid Land Cam. It has it's case and flashbulb. I need to track down some film and play with this thing. The great thing about, and for Polaroid, is all the fans it still has. The company itself may no longer be in production, but there are people all over the internet still producing film for the cameras.


I would love to get this little guy up and running.
The reels of family moments I've never seen are probably still somewhere at Maw Maw's.

It's only missing a rubber band that turns the reels when the projector is powered.

This is probably least likely to get recommissioned, but it is in working condition and I plan to keep it that way.




What kind of relics do you have sitting around? Do they work?  Do you play with them?


4 comments:

  1. I have a couple Polaroid Landrovers also! If you are looking for film, check out "The Impossible Project", the movement that kept open the last Polaroid film manufacturing factory. You can also probably have better luck than I at your thrift stores; it seems statistically that the likelihood of finding old Polaroid film is better in the midwest. When you come back... which I really hope you will at some point, we need to go on a film shooting spree! 120 films are still fairly easy to come by, as is 35mm (if you are looking for more diversity, try Lomography's color film and Illford makes the best B&W film around in my opinion). Many camera specific stores still have the machinery and chemicals to develop less popular film types, including B&W and slide negatives. Also, that projector is SWEET! I wonder if we have one lying around somewhere. I am hoping to digitize all of Bear's family's old slides, negatives, and reel-to-reels sometime soon before they disintegrate from their housing in old trunks and boxes (not great when they are moved to places like attics and cellars where there is no climate control... now we have them in a more stable environment, but the damage is done... some of the films have polarity issues which is not good at all!).

    Did you take all those photos on your new canvas backdrop? It's perfect for photographing items! If you make any acquaintances with Etsy shoppes, you should offer to photograph their wares for a modest price. Very professional looking! :) What lighting do you use? I'm getting nerd all over this post. I should stop. :P

    Miss you tons! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am limited to a hand-me-down Vivitar flash right now. I have no way of adjusting it's ASA since it's not truly compatible to my D60. I then play a bit with it in Picasa. I have photoshop on it's way too.

    Check this link out for putting those slides on the computer: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=16855959&color=00&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=APARTMENT_MEDIA

    I know there are similar things out there for putting films on DVDs.

    I would loVe to play film with you.
    Maybe the college will let you, an employee, play in the lab. I know a CSM photographer who might help us out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently, I am faking a lot of technology.
    I almost like the cotton canvass better than cloth backdrops, due to it's rigidity, dunno how keeping it clean is gonna go. I need a wider one, but what I have is great for items and single portraits.

    Our basement is a dull grey with hardly any lighting, and no ceiling, that is just insulation and that shiny bubble-paper stuff... I am using a large squar sheet of styrofoam to bounce the flash off.

    What kinds of 'improvising' do you readers revert to at times of limitation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have been known to bounce flash off my hand at weddings, when direct flash is too powerful. It looks ridiculously silly and isn't the GREATEST option, but it works most of the time. ha

    ReplyDelete