Monday, August 15, 2011

Fair 2011




I like to think that I like 'The Fair', or 'Fairs'. I always try to go the one back home (Southern Maryland), and, like most non-agricultured, I'm most probably only there to see who we can run into, and get mildly excited if we recognize names on exhibits and animals. *I know them*.

Most school districts still alot a Friday off as 'Fair Day', originally intended and somewhat still utilized as a day for all the farm kids to prep and work the festivities with their farming families and social groups. I don't think many school aged children these days understand that 'summer vacation' is an agriculturally influenced ritual. Some U.S. states and cities have switched to a year-round school calendar in lue of summer vacations no longer needed, due to a lack of farming families or culture. Before you get all up in arms about that possibility, the bright side is you have less time to forget what you've been applying, and more frequent breaks throughout the 'school year'. I kinda like it. It definitely would have benefitted my personal learning style (which was excel a semester, fail a quarter, squeeze by a quarter).

Anyways, I like to think I like fairs, but I get there and it's the same old lackluster, ride-fearing, walk about aimlessly event as always. Though, now that I've experience my current, small, crumbly-town event, it makes me proud of the 'little' County Fair we had, with live music, sometimes big names, barns full of ribboned, poopy livestock, buildings lined with awarded artwork from all grades of the county schools. Chainsaw art, Native Americans, Yankees, Confederates, DAR, SVC... we got it all, and we top it off with fake Southern MD twangs when we get t' talkin' too much n' too fast.


Eddie and I walked over to the County/Town Fair here. There was no gate or admittance fee, to give you an idea of how 'intimate' an affair it is. We like to count how many license plates read 'Eat Beef' or some variation of same. It actually kinda deters me from eating beef. Something about it being so blatant. This is a land where the livelihood is still raising to sell large mammals to be slaughtered, and I'm often the 'demand' to the 'supply'. I just loVE a good cheeseburger. Tho, to be honest, I could 'make the change'. Enough about that, Funnel Cake!
 I enjoy funnel cake, because I only enjoy funnel cake at fairs. If funnel cake was available at the nearest pastry shoppe, I couldn't bring myself to make it a casual snack. Good for me. So, Fair Itinerary: pick out rides, thEn share a funnel cake while walking about aimlessly, and purposefully encountering random people. 
The exception to the 'pre-funnel cake ride rule' is the ferris wheel. Is it 'ferris'? Like Bueler? Is it 'Bueler'?
I can ride the ferris (sp?) wheel throughout the evening and never get bored. Well, back home I could. Scanning the grounds for figures I know. 'I saw you from the ferris wheel.'


--- Ha, lookit that handsome Stud.


Oh, there were tractors. Who doesn't appreciate a well-maintained, working-condition, farm-ly heirloom?






This trailer blanketed with 'antique' tools is my favorite snap of the day. I can't really say why either, it just 'speaks to me. No, but honestly, I have no idea why I like this so much. I guess it just reminds me of things that draw my eye at bargain barns, or items an uncle still puts to good use. 

Anyways, we went to 'the fair'.

(and all this pics were off my mobile, and touched-up in Picasa)

2 comments:

  1. haha, I haven't been to the Fair in years! Now I live really close to the fairgrounds, and I STILL don't go. In fact, now I associate fair weekend with "I can't even get to my house because of all these stupid cars waiting to get parking spots at the fair".

    I've NEVER liked funnel cake... I usually wind up inhaling the powdered sugar up my nose and that hurts. It's good to know some people do eat the stuff. But never as a casual snack. Ugh.

    Also, did you have any deep-fried butter sticks out there? I hear they were popular at the tent vote rally thing. Personally, the idea freaks me out. It's like we say to other countries "hello, we are America and we get votes by bribing the public with chairs, musicians, and deep fried heart-attacks on a stick". Rant complete.

    I miss your face and love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eww, I hadn't heard about anything in that last paragraph. Sounds like yuck.

    ReplyDelete