Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"For Real?" "No."

silly brain
Mom and I made our way to our seats within the wooden pews to the left, in a 'chapel' of ordinary empty, off-white walls. We faced the chancel: large identical pulpit and lectern, plain table for an alter draped in a single white linen. People hadn't finished filing into their seats as the wedding party danced in to clips of their own pop songs. Mostly everyone was on their feet as the couple entered simultaneously at opposite sides of the chancel. It's an extremely plain space of no denomination and plenty of natural light through modern-day Anderson style vinyl windows. Smells like an empty room. The couple is signing playfully at each other until the music fades and a short, sweet exchange of vows is completed. We all rise and follow the wedding party in a dance through a short series of halls, into a conference room decorated as their reception hall. We pass an Indian wedding party headed to a similar celebration in a lavishly Indian themed room down the same hall. Mom and I take our assigned seats at a round banquet table of white and red table cloths. There's an envelope at my place setting with a PetValue gift card inside. I tell my mom how thoughtful and randomly generous this is, "We just got one of these in our shopping center...". She's watching the other end of the room, the wedding party taking their seats, out of earshot, the happy couple, playfully themselves, laughing and animated. Wasn't 'til hours later, when I briefly thought to look for this gift card that doesn't exist, that I remembered this elaborate dream about a wedding that hasn't happened, which I'm not taking my mom to.

Isn't reading other people's dreams a terrible yawn?

No comments:

Post a Comment