Thursday, June 28, 2012

Beach Time, and the Unexpected Visitor


We spent a day at the beach on base, no dog's allowed, which we don't take advantage of very often. It's good to have dates without the kids :)
It's a really sweet stretch of shore along the point. Perfect for couples and families. The water was the perfect temperature. I didn't want to get out. I found a plank of drift wood that proved a decent floatation/relaxation device.


During a shore break, Eddie went off to the car, while I lay face-down on my towel. There was a hum of awe from the family next to us, and then I heard the largest, closest wingspan I'd ever personally encountered. I turned over to find myself mere 3ft below an eagle, gliding to the shore! Normally, I'm thrilled by nature, not that I wasn't, but in my bathing suit, I might as well be naked that close to talons and beak!

I watched the eagle glide to the small point at the end of the beach, before sharing a 'holy wow!' glance with my neighbors. We were all so thrilled to have experienced that. I was too excited to remember sandals, as I grabbed my video camera only, and headed towards the beast. If he/she was comfortable to swoop over all of us, let's see how close she let's me get to her/him.

A boat of fisherman were just reaching the point as well, cleaning their deck, they also were able to approach, and get pictures. We all noticed at the same time, he/she was dragging the left talon, which concerned us at once, but upon further investigation, he/she was just clutching it's treat, unscathed. Why the bird didn't find us alarming enough to fly off, still baffles me. It made my day.

Eddie, who had since caught up to me and my burning bare feet, ended his call to DNR, as I insisted the bird was fine, and we let him/her be, making our way back down the beach. It had since become jelly season, as the shore had since been littered with sea nettles. We braved a last dip into the Bay, which was short lived. Moments after the "You can't live your life in fear of jelly fish" speach, and pretending to get stung, Karma stung Eddie on his left arm, and it was time to go home. Boy was it nasty for while. Bubbles and dark rash ensued. We tried vinegar, and were on our way to picking up meat tenderizer, when it started to heal itself, and time is all that was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment